Monday, April 21, 2008

On the Road to Shivapuri National Park

We had an unexpected bout of load-shedding today, so all the battery power for my laptop is going (more or less) to tracking down orphans and networking.

I meant to get up to Boudhanilkantha, but instead biked all the way to the rim of the valley and Shivapuri National Park, where the headwaters of the Bagmati River are--a river holy to Hindus and which winds through Pashuputinath. From up high, the landscape reminds me very much of Dutch landscape paintings, though in many ways Nepal looks little like Holland.

Strangely, up at the entrance the guards--the military--wouldn't let me pay the money to go into the park. I'm not actually sure why that is, but another expat suggested to me that it's because the bodies of 30 Maoists were found in a mass grave there, presumably summarily executed during the uprising. I'm not sure if this is true, but it's the best I have to go on.

No comments: